Certain machinery or apparatus containing small quantities of dangerous goods may be transported by sea under UN Number 3363 Class 9. For assigning this UN Number various factors must be checked and ensure the conditions laid down in special provision 301 of UN Model Regulations / IMDG Code are met with.
Special provision 301 of UN Model Regulations
- The entry UN 3363, DANGEROUS GOODS IN MACHINERY or DANGEROUS GOODS IN APPARATUS, Class 9 only applies to machinery or apparatus containing dangerous substances as a residue or an integral element of the machinery or apparatus.
- It shall not be used for machinery or apparatus for which a Proper Shipping Name already exists in the Dangerous Goods List.
- Machinery and apparatus transported under this entry shall only contain dangerous goods which are authorized to be transported in accordance with the provisions in chapter 3.4 (Limited quantities).
- The quantity of dangerous goods in machinery or apparatus shall not exceed the quantity specified in column 7a of the Dangerous Goods List for each item of dangerous goods contained.
- If the machinery or apparatus contains more than one item of dangerous goods, the individual substances shall not be capable of reacting dangerously with one another (see 188.8.131.52).
- When it is required to ensure liquid dangerous goods remain in their intended orientation, package orientation labels meeting the specifications of ISO 780:1985 shall be affixed on at least two opposite vertical sides with the arrows pointing in the correct direction.
- The transport of dangerous goods in machinery or apparatus where the quantity of dangerous goods exceeds the quantity specified in column 7a of the Dangerous Goods List is authorized when approved by the competent authority.
European road regulations do not consider UN 3363 as dangerous goods. Section 184.108.40.206.( Exemptions related to the nature of the transport) section (b) of ADR states “ The carriage of machinery of equipment not specified in this Annex and which happen to contain dangerous goods in their i8nternal or operational equipment, provided that measures have been taken to prevent any leakage of contents in normal conditions of carriage”.