Metal, rigid plastics and composite IBC intended to carry dangeroys goods by sea shall be inspected and tested*
- Before their first use
- Every two and a half and five years
- After repair or remanufacture, before reuse
After the date of expiry of last inspection an IBC shall not be used for transport.
But may be transported if
1. Filled prior to the date of expiry of the last periodic test or inspection for a period not to exceed three months beyond the date of expiry of the last periodic test or inspection.
2. After emptying but before cleaning, for purposes of performing the required test or inspection prior to refilling
3. Unless otherwise approved by the competent authority, for a period not to exceed six months beyond the date of expiry of the last periodic test or inspection in order to allow the return of dangerous goods or residues for proper disposal or recycling.
Transport after date of expiry of last inspection need to be shown in the dangerous goods declaration.
*Five Years tests
1. Conformity to the design type, including marking;
2. Internal and external condition; and
3. Proper functioning of service equipment.
*Two and a half years tests
- External condition; and
- Proper functioning of service equipment.
Further tests may be applicable – refer relevant sections of IMDG Code