Iodine is an essential element for life. Deficiency of Iodine leads to hypothyroidism, goitre, mental slowing, depression, weight gain etc. Iodine is mainly used for nutrition and also for production of Acetic Acid.
Even though every essential for life, large quantity of Iodine is poisonous and this substance is also corrosive to most metals.
Based on human experience without using classification criteria of UN Model Regulations Iodine is listed under Class 8 ( Corrosive substances) with subsidiary risk 6.1 ( Toxic Substances ) UN 3495 and assigned to packing group III.
- Screening for Thyroid Disease When You Have Risk Factors (everydayhealth.com)
- Radioiodine Therapy for Thyroid Problems (everydayhealth.com)
- Global Iodine Market to Reach 31.2 Thousand Metric Tons by 2017, According to New Report by Global Industry Analysts, Inc. (prweb.com)
- Iodine: Why is it important? (solutionstoyourproblems.wordpress.com)
- How Much Iodine Is Too Much? (nlm.nih.gov)
- Iodine : The essential trace element that is essential for the normal growth and development. (blissreturned.wordpress.com)