Maritime Safety Committee (MSC), 90th session concluded on 25th May 2012. Many important decisions were made such as on Piracy and armed robbery against ships, Passenger ship safety, Adoption of SOLAS amendments, Adoption of Load Lines amendments, Adoption of amendments to Codes mandatory under the SOLAS Convention, LRIT status, etc.
Under amendments to Codes mandatory under the SOLAS Convention below were accepted
• International Code of Safety for High-Speed Craft, 2000 (2000 HSC Code), relating to radiocommunication, on testing of satellite EPIRBs.
• International Code for Fire Safety Systems (FSS Code), relating to fixed foam fire extinguishing systems; and automatic sprinkler, fire detection and fire alarm systems.
• International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG) Code and supplements (amendment 36-12), including harmonization of the Code with the amendments to the UN Recommendations on the transport of dangerous goods, seventeenth revised edition. Amendment 36-12 will enter into force on 1 January 2014, but Contracting Governments may apply the aforementioned amendments in whole or in part on a voluntary basis from 1 January 2013.
These amendments will enter into force from 1st January 2014.
- UK: Interim Guidance for PMSCs Agreed by IMO (worldmaritimenews.com)
- Guidance for private maritime security companies agreed by IMO’s Maritime Safety Committee (shippingtribune.com)